Once we figured out that content for our game contains Terrain (ground) which was designed with help of Terrains sub-engine. It’s very interesting tool with great features of brush painting and sculpting, but for our game it become a huge overhead in memory.
What we had to do is to reduce memory usage. But it was tricky because sub-engine is closed for modifying system, like a black box. So we explored it properties and managed to export data from it to raw textures and heightmap. Than we wrote our own lightweight Shader (surface visualization program) to draw the ground without performance lose. It looks the same as you can see.
We optimized the basic version to increase the speed of our game.